Firsts and Innovations
Veterinary Specialty Center is guided by the belief that companion animals deserve state-of-the-art medical care in a kind and comforting environment. The courage of our patients, the loyalty of their human families, and the devotion of our referral veterinarians inspire our vision. It is sustained by the contributions of our compassionate, knowledgeable and dedicated staff and built upon a tradition of providing unsurpassed healthcare for animals.
Since VSC was founded, we have continued to be a leader in the specialty veterinary field. In many cases, we were the first to offer some services or continue to be the only center offering certain diagnostic services and treatments in the Midwest or Illinois.
Firsts at VSC
- First in the Midwest to offer hemodialysis to companion animals. Veterinary Specialty Center is the only private practice in middle-
America and one of 10 nationally to offer hemodialysis
- First facility in the Chicagoland area to offer radiation therapy to companion animals
- First private practice in Illinois to offer oncology services
- First private practice in Illinois with a board-certified anesthesiologist on staff
- First private practice in Illinois to offer 3 Tesla MRI and 64-slice CT scans
- First practice in Illinois to offer Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)
- Only practice in Illinois offering thermography
- First practice in Illinois offering Acoustic Compression Therapy (ACT)
- Only practice in Illinois with a licensed counselor and grief support group
Leading the Way
- Hosts the largest, no-cost, annual continuing education event for veterinarians and technicians in the Chicago-area.
- One of only a few practices nationally to offer Flouroscopy
- One of the few practices with technicians boarded in emergency, critical care and internal medicine
- Nutrition consults available
- In-house laboratory from the University of Illinois’ Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory