Veterinary Specialty Center Pet Loss Support Group
As part of our on-going mission to serve not only pets but the people who love them, VSC has multiple no-cost support groups for people who have lost pets. These groups are run by our licensed mental health professional. Please contact Rebecca Murray, LCPC, CVT for more information on locations and times. 847.499,5700 or email@example.com.
CVMA Wings Pet Loss Support Group and Hotline – 630.325.1600
ASPCA Pet Loss Support Program – 877.474.3310
Anti-Cruelty Society – Call Tammie Bouschor at 312.644.8338 ext. 344 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books About Pet Loss
- Coping with sorrow on the loss of your pet (3rd ed.) – Anderson, M. (1996). US: DogEar Publishing.
- Goodbye friend: Healing wisdom for anyone who has ever lost a pet – Kowalski, G. (2012). Novato, CA: New World Publishing.
- Good-bye my friend: Tributes, poems, prose, and other ways to remember your pet – Lanci-Altomare, M. (2004). Irvine, CA: Bowtie Press.
- Coping with the loss of a pet – Lemieux, C. (1989). Wyomissing, PA: Wallace R Clark Co.
- Goodbye, my friend: Grieving the loss of a pet – Montgomery, M. and Montgomery, H. (1991). Chanhassen, MN: Montgomery Press.
- A final act of caring: Ending the life of an animal friend – Montgomery, M. and Montgomery, H. (1993). Chanhassen, MN: Montgomery Press.
- Healing Pet Loss – 10 tips for coping with the loss of a pet – Soucy, M. (2012). Healing Pet Loss.
- When your pet dies: A guide to mourning, remembering, and healing – Wolfelt, A. (2004). Fort Collins, CO: Companion Press.
Books For Children and Parents
- Talking about death: A dialogue between parent and child – Grollman, E. (1990). Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- When children grieve: For adults to help children deal with death, divorce, pet loss, moving, and other losses – James, J, Friedman, R, and Matthews, L. (2001). New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Pet loss and children: Establishing a healthy foundation – Ross, C.B. (2005). New York, NY: Routledge.
Books For Children
- When dinosaurs die: A guide to understanding death – Brown, L.K., and Brown, M. (1996). New York, NY: Little, Brown and Company.
- Why did you die: Activities to help children cope with grief and loss -Leeuwenburgh, E. and Goldring, E. (2008). Oakland, CA: Instant Help Books.
- Lifetimes: A beautiful way to explain death to children Mellonie, B. and Ingpen, R. (1983).
- Dog Heaven – Rylant, C. (1995). New York, NY: The Blue Sky Press.
- Cat Heaven -Rylant, C. (1997). New York, NY: The Blue Sky Press. New York, NY: Bantam Books.
- I miss you: A first look at death – Thomas, P. (2001). Hauppauge, NY: Barron’s Educational Series.