Veterinary Specialty Center (VSC) offers a PAID Veterinary Technician Externship Program for students currently enrolled in an AVMA CVTEA-Accredited Veterinary Technology Program. Below is general information about the program and the expectations for students interested in participating.
In order to participate in our Technician Externship Program, you must complete an onsite *shadow day at VSC which consists of the following:
Rotate through 8+ specialties including:
- Oncology/Radiation Therapy
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency and Critical Care
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Rehabilitation and Integrative Care
- Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
*Total on-site time = approximately 2 to 4 hours
Students participating in the **program will clock in each day, rotate through all of VSC’s departments during their externship, receive training on VSC’s software programs, and will be asked to perform a variety of skills (see below).
Prior to being On-Site:
- Complete Shadow Day
- Sign School Paperwork
- Fulfill VSC On-Boarding Requirements
- Clock In/Clock Out daily (Weekly hour sheets printed every Monday).
- Complete EzyVet (our practice management software) and SmartFlow (our digital treatment sheet software) Training.
- Spend approximately one week per specialty.
- Surgery (four days– 10 Hour Shifts)
- Oncology/Radiation Therapy (four days – 10 Hour Shifts)
- Internal Medicine (four days – 10 Hour Shifts)
- Cardiology (four days – 10 Hour Shifts)
- Neurology (four days – 10 Hour Shifts)
- Emergency and Critical Care (three days– 12 Hour Shifts)
- Diagnostic Imaging (four days– 10 Hour Shifts)
- Rehabilitation and Integrative Care (four days – 10 Hour Shifts)
- Veterinary Diagnostic Lab (four days – 10 Hour Shifts)
- Dermatology (Schedule TBD)
- Skills likely to perform include (but not limited to):
- Blood draws
- IV Catheter Placement
- Urinary Catheter Placement
- Anesthesia Monitoring
- Administration of Drugs
- Nursing Care and Observation of Critical Patients
- Cytology/Blood Smears
**Total On-Site Time: 8-16 weeks