Nephrology is a specialized branch of internal medicine that studies the anatomy, physiology and pathology of the kidney. The function of the kidney plays a pivotal role in the maintenance of a patient’s health.
Patients see a nephrologist for:
- Acute Kidney Injury/Failure – Rapid loss of kidney function
- Chronic Kidney (Renal) Disease – Progressive loss of renal function over time (months or years)
- Hematuria – Presence of red blood cells in urine
- Proteinuria – Elevated presence of serum proteins in urine
- Kidney Stones (Renal Calculi) – Solid concretion aggregation formed in the kidneys
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) - Elevated systemic arterial blood pressure
- Disorders of Acid-Base and/or Electrolytes
VSC is a frontrunner when it comes to the management of kidney disease. We offer state-of the-art equipment that allows for precision in the diagnosis and treatment of your pet’s renal disorders. As the first facility in the Midwestern United States to offer hemodialysis to companion animals, VSC is confident that we can meet your pet’s kidney needs at any stage of renal failure.
Our Nephrologist is trained and certified to offer:
- Hemodialysis – A procedure in which blood is cleansed by circulation through an external dialyzer membrane (artificial kidney)
- Peritoneal Dialysis - A procedure in which blood is cleansed using the patient’s peritoneum membrane (lines the abdominal cavity) as the dialysis membrane
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy – Type of hemodialysis that gradually dialyzes the patient over an extended period of time
With over 40 years of experience, Dr. Thornhill is a leader in veterinary nephrology. He has authored 44- publications, along with eight textbook chapters and has presented innumerable lectures and continuing education seminars, domestically and internationally.
To contact our Nephrology department, please call 847-459-7535 or email us at IM@VetSpecialty.com.
- Surgical Procedures
- Internal Medicine
- WALLE SOLBERG Case Report
- Medical & Radiation Oncology
- Imaging and Radiology
- Diagnostic Radiology/Fluoroscopy
- Computed Tomography (CT Scan)
- Scintigraphy/Nuclear Medicine
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Radioiodine Therapy (I-131)
- Interventional Radiology
- PACS Teleradiology
- Dermatology Procedures
- Dermatology FAQs
- Anesthesia/Pain Management
- Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Holistic Medicine